Currie-Merickel team captures Sportsmen's Club Fishing Tourney
OTTERTAIL -- The 18th annual Lake Country Sportsmen's Club Fishing Tournament was held on June 10.
The team of Tyler Currie, of Battle Lake, and Jason Merickel, of Wadena, won the tournament.
The Otter Tail Lake tournament featured 50 teams form 36 different communities in Minnesota, North Dakota and California.
A record 33 of 50 tams presented their tournament limit of six fish (15-inch minimum) per boat at the weigh-in station.
For comparison, in the club's 2007 and 2008 tournaments, only nine of 50 teams were able to bring in their limits.
The largest walleye caught (5-pounds, 12-ounces) in this catch-and-release tournament was by Rothsay-Fergus Falls native Dave Goltz, who was also a member of the second place team.
The top ten teams shared over $6,700 in prize money. In addition, local businesses donated over $2,800 worth of door prizes and other gifts.
Tournament top 10:
1. Currie and Merickel, $2,000 and trophies
2. Goltz and Steve Schierer, $1,000 and trophies
3. Todd and Elman becker, $700 and trophies
4. Jake and Brad Carr $600
5. Blaine and Brent Larson $500
6. Bruce and Jared Erickson $425
7. Jared and Brandon Carr $400
8. Nick Hovland and Ross Meyer $375
9. Lon Peterson and Jordan Johnson $325
10. Tom and Ty Macheledt $300