Weather Forecast

Members of the Perham Fire Department stand outside Great Beginnings Childcare in Perham, after an electric fire forced an evacuation of the building. Trisha Marczak/FOCUS

Daycare fire in Perham prompts evacuation

Email News Alerts

Children were evacuated from a home daycare center in Perham Thursday morning after a fire was detected.

After children were evacuated, Perham Fire Department entered Great Beginnings Childcare, located on the 100 block of Sixth Street Northwest, and discovered the fire in a water heater, located in a separate room on the main floor of the structure.


Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said the cause of the fire was electrical. Fire damage was contained to the water heater.

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet?

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at and we can help you.