A home, garage and vehicle inside the garage were destroyed in a fire in Deer Creek late Thursday night.
The home’s 10 occupants were able to evacuate without any injuries.
The home, at 216 N. Clark Street, was owned by Raymond Rasmussen, age 70.
Authorities said the fire was believed to have originated from an ash tray near the exterior entrance to the home.
Family members were at the site Friday morning to salvage whatever they could. They said they were thankful nobody was injured and they appreciated assistance from Red Cross volunteers.
The fire was spotted just after 11:00 p.m. by a New York Mills police officer who was on patrol in Deer Creek. The Deer Creek Fire Department was able to extinguish the blaze, according to the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office. The house, garage and vehicle, however, were a total loss.
Agencies assisting at the scene, in addition to the sheriff’s office and Deer Creek Fire Department, included the Red Cross and New York Mills Police Department, the New York Mills Fire Department, Wadena Fire Department and Henning Ambulance crew.
By Tom Hintgen, Otter Tail County Correspondent