Firefighters respond to chimney fire
The Perham Fire Department was called to a residence on 405th Avenue in Gorman Township, north of Perham, early Saturday morning to respond to a chimney fire. Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said 20 firefighters were on scene for about an hour, working in cold and windy conditions up on the icy roof of the home. No one was injured in the fire; the inside of the house suffered some smoke damage. Schmidt reminds homeowners to check their chimneys regularly if they are burning wood, and also to check for the build up of residue deposits, or "creosote," on the inside of chimneys and stove pipes.