Girls Tennis: Mills, Perham out of 8A tournament
The time away from the courts in recent weeks hurt the New York Mills and Perham tennis teams as they entered Monday's Section 8A team quarterfinals at the Grand Forks Tennis Center. Both teams were eliminated in the first round of play by identical 7-0 scores.
Mills, the No. 6 seed in the 8A tournament, lost to No. 3 seeded East Grand Forks in a match that started at 8 a.m.
"The turn in the weather definitely hurt our Eagles more than the Green Wave, as I am sure they were able to practice indoors last week in the friendly confines of the GF Tennis Center where we played today," Eagle head coach Gary Bach said. "It would sure be nice to have an indoor tennis facility closer to home. Our players took awhile to adjust to the indoor setting after a long early morning ride up there. Even so, I was proud of our players effort and competitive spirit against a good team."
Perham's season came to an end with a loss to No. 2 Crookston in another early morning match in Grand Forks Monday.
Crookston's No. 1 single player, Hayley Myrold, won her 100th career match against Becca Huebsch. Hannah Brenk was the lone Jacket player to win a set. She won her first set at No. 3 singles, 6-3, before dropping the nest two, 6-2, 6-4.
The team semifinals and finals will continue Friday, Oct. 16 at the Grand Forks Tennis Center. No. 1 seeded Roseau will take on the No. 5 seed, Park Rapids, in one semifinal at 9 a.m. Crookston and East Grand Forks will face-off in the other semifinal at 11 a.m.
The winners will go against each other in the 8A Championship at approximately 1 p.m. Roseau beat Crookston for the 2008 section title.
The Section 8A Individual Tournament will also begin in Grand Forks on Oct. 16 after the team finals, then continue Oct. 17.
Eagle players entered in singles are No. 3 seed Isabelle Resch, and No. 8 Missi Hendrickx. Perham will have Huebsch and Britta Sundberg.
Playing doubles for the Lady Jackets will be the team of Whitney Delaney and Emily Wurgler and the duo of Brenk and Suzanne Coleman. Mills doubles teams will be No. 12 seed's Savannah Thompson and Lauren Bach, and the No. 15 seed's Kaitlyn Hintsala and Jen Maki.
The top team, and the top two singles players and top-two doubles teams from Section 8A will advance to the Class A State Tournament, which will be held at the Reed-Sweatt Tennis Center in Minneapolis Oct. 29-30.
Thursday, October 8
West Central Area 4, Perham 3
1. Paulson (WCA) def. Becca Huebsch,6-4, 2-6, 10-6; 2. Wagner (WCA) def. Britta Sundberg, 6-3, 6-0; 3. Hannah Brenk (P) def. Anderson, 7-5, 6-4; 4. Haberer (WCA) def. Suzanne Soleman, 6-4, 6-3.
1. Whitney Delaney & Emily Wurgler (P) def. Hanson & Sutton, 7-5, 6-3; 2. Ashley Silbernagel & Paige Biegler (P) def. Rauchbayer & Frisch, 6-3, 5-7, 10-7; 3. Grensoh & Frykman (WCA) def. Jessica Haugen & Mary Ann Kuebler, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
Monday, October 12
Section 8A Quarterfinals
#3 East Grand Forks 7, #6 NY Mills 0
1. Jones (EGF) def. Isabelle Resch, 6-1, suspended; 2. B. Mankie (EGF) def. Missi Hendrickx, 6-2, 6-0; 3. L. Mankie (EGF) def. Savannah Thompson, 6-2, 6-3; 4. Dickman (EGF) def. Lauren Bach, 6-2, 7-5.
1. Jensen & Jones (EGF) def. Kaitlyn Hintsala & Jen Maki, 6-0, suspended; 2. Driscoll & Rudstrom (EGF) def. Jenna Esala & Krista Guldseth, 6-3, 6-1; 3. Pimantael & Flaagan (EGF) def. Leslie Geleneau & Emily Blomberg, 6-3, 6-1.
#2 Crookston 7, #7 Perham 0
1. Myrold (C) def. Huebsch, 6-0, suspended; 2. Derosier (C) def. Sundberg, 6-0, 6-0; 3. Morris (C) def. Brenk, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4; 4. Erickson (C) def. Coleman, 6-1, 6-2.
1. Proulx & Lariviere (C) def. Delaney & Wurgler, 6-1, suspended; 2. Graham & Dennison (C) def. Silbernagel & Biegler, 6-1, 6-2; 3. Crane & Simmons (C) def. Haugen & Kuebler, 6-1, 6-2.
#1 Roseau 5, #8 Wadena-Deer Creek 2
#5 Park Rapids 6, #4 Thief River Falls 1
10/16 Section 8A Team Semifinals
(at Grand Forks)
#1 Roseau vs. #5 Park Rapids
#2 Crookston vs. #3 EGF
8A Team Finals
8A Individual Quarterfinals
10/17 Individual Semifinals and Finals
(at Grand Forks)