Goats killed in barn fire near Perham
A barn and several goats that were inside it were lost in a fire north of Perham on Wednesday.
Several calves, as well as a pig, were able to escape the fire, according to a press release from the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office. The barn appears to be a total loss. A tractor parked next to the barn also sustained significant damage.
The fire is believed to have started from heat lamps that were being used for the goats.
The press release states that the barn, owned by Steven Karsnia, is located at 43697 County Highway 60.
The fire was reported at 2:15 p.m. Perham Fire was dispatched to the scene. Crews also responded from Vergas, New York Mills and Frazee. Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said approximately 21,000 gallons of water were used to tackle the blaze.