Jacket tennis looking to improve
The number two and three doubles teams notched victories for the Perham Yellowjackets tennis team but a Wadena-Deer Creek sweep of all four singles matches and the top doubles spot propelled the Wolverines to a 5-2 victory at Wadena.
"Our kids need to improve on some things," Head Coach Kyle Knutson said. "We are not playing up to our potential. We will get there. I am proud of the guys and we strive to get better each day."
Mike Botzet and Chad Hofland, Perham's number two doubles duo, dropped the first set 6-3, but stormed back to take the second and third sets by scores of 6-2 in each set.
Christian Hinckley and Brian Howey ran away with the three doubles match dropping only three games in their 6-3, 6-0 win.
None of the top three singles players for Perham took a set from the Wolverines, but Randy Swanson had a battle at four singles.
Swanson took the first set 7-5 from Wadena-Deer Creek's Drew Larson, dropped the second set 6-3, before being nipped 7-5 in the third.
Detroit Lakes 6, Perham 1
Swanson continued building momentum scoring the only victory in a 6-1 team loss at home to Detroit Lakes.
Swanson went the distance needing all three sets for victory.
After dropping the first set 6-1, he rallied 6-4 in the second and breezed through the third set up two breaks of serve to a 6-2 deciding set victory.
The Lakers swept the remaining six matches in straight sets.
The Yellowjackets did score two victories in exhibition play.
Brian Howey beat his opponent in a slugfest in exhibition singles.
Paul Shoeneberger and Kiowa Wieser-Mathews beat their opponents in an exhibition doubles match.
"We are going to continue to work on the things that are holding us back," Knutson said. "Improve a little bit each day and each match."
W-DC 5, Perham 2.
1. Dennis Loper (WDC) def. Jordan Cresap, 6-1, 6-3.
2. Mike Paavola (WDC) def. Dillon Shields, 6-0, 6-2.
3. Austin Korkowsi (WDC) def. Al Shoeneberger, 6-2, 6-1.
4. Drew Larson (WDC) def. Randy Swanson, 5-7, 6-3, 7-5.
1. Pettow & Pate (WDC) def. Madison Paridon & James Hersch, 6-1, 6-3.
2. Mike Botzet & Chad Hofland (P) def. Anderson & Green, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.
3. Christian Hinckley & Brian Howey (P) def. Karlson & Raft, 6-3, 6-0.
Detroit Lakes 6, Perham 1
1. Cresap lost to Jesse Meyer 1-6, 1-6.
2. Dillon Shields lost to Andy Schupp 0-6, 4-6.
3. Randy Swanson (P) beat Garret Duncan 1-6, 6-4, 6-2.
4. Al Shoeneberger lost to Tom Warweg 5-7, 2-6.
1. Paridon/Hersch lost to I Fonderick/J Fonderick 1-6, 0-6,
2. Andreen/Botzet lost to Brekke/Jordan 1-6, 1-6.
Meece/Hofland lost to Harris/Knopf 3-6, 6-7 (5).