Weather Forecast


John "Jack" Joseph Riestenberg 1927-2012

John "Jack" Joseph Riestenberg, 85, of Elizabeth, Minn., died peacefully at his home on Thursday, Nov. 8.

He was born April 16, 1927 in Perham at the St. James Hospital, the son of John and Rose (Mohr) Riestenberg. He was baptized and confirmed at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Perham. He attended country school and graduated from Perham High School.

In 1952 he was drafted into the Army and did a tour of duty in the Korean War. He received the Combat Infantryman's Badge for serving on the front lines. After the war, he worked as a truck mechanic in Buena Park, Calif. for three years. He then returned home to work on the farm and took a job as a mechanic for Schmitz Ford in Perham.

In 1959 he married Odilia Guck at St. Joseph's Catholic Church. They rented a farmhouse west of Perham for two years and then moved to the farm by Fergus Falls. They spent the next 27 years farming, raising animals and five kids. In 1988 they moved to their home outside of Elizabeth. His happiest days were spent on the farm and he continued to go there almost daily until his stroke in 2010.

Jack was a member of the Knights of Columbus, VFW, NFO, the Elizabeth Sportsman's Club, Carlisle Oil board member, and was a St. Elizabeth trustee for many years.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Odilia (Guck) of Elizabeth; children, Mark (Annette) Riestenberg of Perham, Bill (Kristi) Riestenberg of Fergus Falls, Teresa (Joe) Ingebrand of Perham, Jerry (Allison) Riestenberg of New Hope, Minn. and Jane (Randy) Kvalheim of Otsego, Minn.; 18 grandchildren; and four siblings, Robert (Rita) Riestenberg of Perham, Dolores Riestenberg of Perham, Art Riestenberg of Perham and Mary Tacito of Wheatridge, Colo.

Jack is preceded in death by his parents and a brother, Bernard.

Mass of Christian Burial was held Nov. 13 at St. Elizabeth Catholic Church, Elizabeth, with Father Jeff Ethen officiating. Interment was in St. Elizabeth Catholic Cemetery. For online condolences, visit The Glende-Nilson Funeral Home of Fergus Falls was in charge of arrangements.