Lakers take six of seven from Jackets
The Detroit Lakes girls' tennis team raised their dual record to 3-7 with a 6-1 victory over visiting Perham Thursday.
It took a little for the Lakers to get back up to par after not having two days of practice, but once they started rolling, they couldn't be stopped by their Yellowjacket counterparts.
"The girls had some rust to shake off after having the last two days off, but they battled back," said DL head coach Kris Swenson. "Katie Anderson took care of business at her No. 1 singles position and had some nice shots. I told her to concentrate on hitting the ball deep.
"Laurenn (Johnson) was calm and confident at No. 2 singles. She beat the same girl she played in Mid-State and played well."
India Fritz also came back to beat her No. 3 singles opponent, as well.
Perham's Katie Howey and MaKayla Kroenke got the only tally in the win column for Perham at three-doubles with a three and three straight set victory over Liz Steger and Emma Magurhe.
The Yellowjackets will play on back-to-back days this week hosting Osakis Thursday, Sept. 29 and traveling to Wadena-Deer Creek Friday.
Osakis is ranked in the top five of the latest Coaches Association poll and are undefeated in duals this year.
Bob Williams contributed to this report.
Detroit Lakes 6, Perham 1, at Detroit Lakes, Sept. 23.
1. Suzanne Coleman vs Katie Andersen 2-6, 3-6
2. Ashley Silbernagel vs Laurenn Johnson 4-6, 1-6
3. Chelsea Honer vs India Fritz 1-6, 1-6
4. Josie Beachy vs Dani Unruh 2-6, 0-6
1. Hannah Brenk & Paige Biegler vs Brianna Seabold & Emily Seabold 7-6, 4-6, 1-6
2. MaryAnne Kuebler & Maggie Rennicke vs Whitney Benscoter & Shantel Kluenenberg 2-6, 4-6
3. Katie Howey & MaKayla Kroenke vs Liz Steger & Emma Magurhe 6-3, 6-3