Perham CC runs at Roy Griak at U of M
The Perham boys and girls cross-country teams were at the Roy Griak Invitational this weekend at the University of Minnesota in one of the most competitive meets in the country with over 12 states represented.
A number of nationally ranked teams were in attendance.
The boys finished 36th and the girls 44th. There were close to 100 high school teams at the meet.
After the week's racing, the boys moved down one spot to second in the state rankings giving way to St. Cloud Cathedral, a team the Yellowjackets defeated by 50 points at Little Falls a week and a half ago.
The boys were up first on Saturday but were without senior captain Keith Schornack who had to miss due to a family wedding.
"The guys have been running extremely well this season and were ready to race against some of the best teams in the country," said Head Coach Jeff Morris.
Klaus Weber led the way running a great race finishing 79th in 17:10, while sophomore Brady Speicher was 142nd in 17:41. Dalton Dahms, Brandon Karels, and Andrew Riestenberg rounded out the top five finishing 217th, 226th, and 229th. Nick Carignan and David Altstadt rounded out the top seven for the jackets.
The girls did an outstanding job in one of the most competitive meets in the country. The girls started out very smart and moved up patiently through the race. Racole Karels led the jackets with a 109th finish in 20:55. Cassie Beseman was 173th with a 21:33. Ciarrin Covington, Lizzie Fudge, and Sydney Karels rounded out the top five.
"We were without Mary Riestenberg, who has normally been in our top five, but she will return next race."
Tanya Berns and Raegan Vaughan finished out the top seven.
"Our girls are extremely young and raced with awesome patience. I am very happy with our race Saturday and look forward to returning to the 4k distance."
The girls dropped to 12th in the state rankings from seventh.
The JV squad joined the varsity in having a great meet at Bagley. The girls competed and won with a perfect score of 15.
In the boys varsity race, Keith Schornack who did not run at the Griak, led the Jackets to a second place team finish in the varsity race, while missing the rest of the varsity squad.
"Keith, who has been training extremely hard, finished third in 16:57 just behind state individually-ranked runners Byron Schultz and Brendan Skime. This is the second race in a row that Keith has been under 17:00 and is looking very strong."
Johannes Goedeking, who finished 14th overall with a personal best of 18:16, filled the one of the Jacket varsity spots at Bagley. Next to cross the line was first year runner and freshman Jayden Cullen finishing 18th in 18:23. Eight-grader Billy Beseman was fourth for the Jackets running an 18:44 for 30th place. Mark Huebsch rounded out the top five with a personal best of 19:05. Rounding out the top seven were eighth-grader Tanner Monson and sophomore Josh Werner who ran 19:21 and 19:44 respectively.
Kanyon Edvall finished third overall in the junior high boys race.
STATE CROSS COUNTRY COACHES' ASSOCIATION
CLASS A RANKINGS
BOYS' TEAMS: INDIVIDUALS:
1. St. Cloud Cathedral Mubarik Musa Worthington
2. Perham Mason Ferlic Mounds Park Acad.
3. Glencoe-Silver Lake Grant Wintheiser St. Cloud Cath.
4. Plainview-Elgin-Millville Matt Jergensen Caledonia
5. Minnehaha Academy Grant Timm Plainview-E-M
6. Fairmont Aaron Haley Plainview-E-M
7. Holy Family Catholic Brandon Clark Blake
8. Byron Troy Koivisto Dassel-Cokato
9. Waseca Andrew Coop Mora
10. Esko Byron Schultz Nevis
11. Albany Shane Streich Waseca
12. LaCrescent Jeremy Martin Lake City
GIRLS' TEAMS: INDIVIDUALS:
1. Adrian Elena Danielson St. Cloud Cath.
2. St. Cloud Cathedral Lauren Friese Fairmont
3. Holy Family Catholic Gabi Swoboda Redwood Falls Area
4. LaCrescent Clare Flanagan Blake
5. Fairmont Victoria Alexander Lake of the Woods
6. Trinity River Ridge Cheyanne Bowers St.James
7. Albany Molly Eastman Holy Family Cath.
8. Blake Maren Greenwaldt Sauk Centre
9. Esko Greta Danielson St. Cloud Cath.
10. Dover-Eyota/St. Charles Jordin Kopplow Adrian
11. Waseca Jordan Chancellor Blake
12. Perham Emi Trost Cannon Falls