Weather Forecast

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar makes a point Monday, while Jeff Almer watches, during a discussion about food-born illnesses. Almer's Perham mother died after eating contaminated peanut butter.

Perham woman's death prompts food safety debate

Email News Alerts

Don Davis

ST. PAUL - Jeff Almer wants his mother's death to mean something.


Shirley Almer of Perham died Dec. 21 from salmonella poisoning blamed on contaminated peanut butter. It was the first of at least nine U.S. deaths, including three in Minnesota, attributed to the deadly organism from a Georgia peanut butter factory.

Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet?

You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us at and we can help you.