Tennis: Lakers defeat Yellowjackets a second time
DETROIT LAKES --The Perham tennis team finished regular season play with a 2-9 record and will enter the Section 8-1A team tournament Monday as the No. 7 seed and will face No. 2 Crookston, in Crookston, at 4:30 p.m.
Detroit Lakes won the meet 5-2.
The two and three doubles teams got Perham's only victories.
Madison Paridon and Chad Hofland defeated Colton Friesen and Cody Knopf three and four.
Mike Botzet and Christian Hinckley took out Caleb Howard and Chandler Hanks three and one.
Laker brothers Isaac and Alex Fondrick were victorious at No. 1 and 2 singles.
Isaac swept through Naoto Nitta in straight sets 6-0, 6-4, while Alex went three sets with Jordan Cresap, winning the first 6-1, but falling in the second 7-5. Fondrick wrapped up the match with a 6-1 victory in the final set.
"Isaac Fondrick is playing as well as any singles player in our section," said DL head coach Wade Johnson.
Cody Jordan defeated Perham's Dillon Shields four and four and Austin Nelson made it a Laker sweep in singles downing Al Shoenenberger 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
DL's one-doubles team of Ethan Brekke and Derick Brehm played defeated Perham's Randy Swanson and James Hirsch 6-2, 6-1.
The team semifinals and finals will be Thursday.
DL Newspapers' Brian Wierima contributed to this story.
Perham at Detroit Lakes, Thursday, May 17.
Detroit Lakes 5, Perham 2
1. Isaac Fondrick (DL) def. Naoto Nitta, 6-0, 6-4
2. Alex Fondrick (DL) def. Jordan Cresap, 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
3. Cody Jordan (DL) def. Dillon Shields, 6-4, 6-4
4. Austin Nelson (DL) def. Al Schoenenberger, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Derick Brehm & Ethan Brekke (DL) def. Randy Swanson & James Hirsch, 6-2, 6-1
2. Madison Paridon & Chad Hofland (P) def. Colton Friesen & Cody Knopf, 6-3, 6-4
3. Mike Botzet & Christian Hinkley (P) def. Caleb Howard & Chandler Hanks, 6-3, 6-1