A vacant house on 380th Avenue, east of Dent, was destroyed by a fire on Saturday. The home had been vacant for several months.
The Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office reported that the owners, early in the morning, had three juveniles at the house who were helping to clean the residence. In a bedroom, one of the workers had a candle burning to provide light because there was no other light source.
While the juveniles were in the garage, the homeowner noticed smoke from the bedroom where the candle was lit. The fire quickly got out of control. Firefighters from Dent and nearby communities were called to the scene at 8:52 a.m.
The house is a total loss. The property is believed to have been under foreclosure. The homeowner had been talking with a financial company to get the home out of probate. The owner told the sheriff’s office that he had no insurance on the property.
The incident is under investigation.
Tom Hintgen, Otter Tail County Correspondent