Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Washing machine catches fire at St. James Manor

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Perham, 56573
Perham Focus
(218) 346-5901 customer support
Perham Minnesota 222 2nd Avenue SE 56573

A washing machine at St. James Manor caught fire Monday, filling the second floor of the building with smoke but causing no injuries or serious damage.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Residents of the senior apartment housing facility were sent to the main level while firefighters extinguished the fire and vented out the smoke.

Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said the fire was reported at about 8 p.m. He believes the washing machine overheated, igniting a fire on the belt inside the machine.

“It wasn’t a big fire, but there was a lot of smoke,” he said.

There was no smoke or serious damage to the building, and no one was hurt in the incident, according to Schmidt.

St. James Manor, managed by Perham Living, is located at 415 8th Avenue S.W. in Perham.

Advertisement
Marie Johnson
Marie Johnson (formerly Nitke) came to the Perham Focus after several years as the Education and Arts & Entertainment Editor at the Herald-Review of Grand Rapids, Minn. She lives in rural Ottertail with her husband, Dan, and their spunky yellow lab, Louisa.
(218) 346-5900 x228
Advertisement
Advertisement