WDC/Perham lose three, Larson wins two
The Wadena-Deer Creek/Perham Wolverines boys tennis team dropped their first three matches of the season posting losses to East Grand Forks, Bemidji and Detroit Lakes.
The Green Wave defeated the Wolverines 6-1 to open the season Friday.
Drew Larson defeated Tyler Wiertzemp, 6-2, 6-1 for the lone point.
The Lumberjacks and Lakers got wins in a Monday triangular in Detroit Lakes where shovels were needed to clear some remaining snow from the courts before the noon start.
Bemidji shutout the Wolverines 7-0. Larson lost a close four and four match to Isak Sommer at No. 2 singles.
Detroit Lakes swept all three doubles matches and got wins at three and four singles to ice away a 5-2 victory. Both of the Wolverines top two singles players came away with victories.
No. 1 Mike Paavola defeated Caleb Howard, 6-2, 6-1; No. 2 Larson beat Carlos Espinosa, 6-2, 6-1.
East Grand Forks 6,
1. Ty Misialek (EGF) def. Mike Paavola, 6-2, 6-1
2. Zach Straw (EGF) def. Christian Hinckley, 6-0, 6-0
3.Drew Larson(WDC/P) def. Tyler Wiertzemp, 6-2, 6-1
4. Jacob Cote (EGF) def. Austin Andreen, 6-1, 6-0
1. Eli Croaker & Ben Campos (EGF) def. Mike Botzet & Kristopher Hanson, 6-0, 6-0
2. Brandon Johnson & Hunter Zeman (EGF) def. Shane Perry & Barnabus Busa, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. John Gardner & AJ Hibaaj (EGF) def. Fikri Rahmat & Tyler Wieser-Matthews, 6-2, 6-1
1. Matt Hokanson (B) def. Mike Paavola, 6-1, 6-1
2. Isak Sommer (B) def. Drew Larson, 6-4, 6-4
3. Lukas Halberg (B) def. Tyler Wieser-Matthews, 10-2
4. Bemidji W, FF
1. Sam Howard & Robert Trever (B) def. Mike Botzet & Austin Andreen, 6-3, 6-4
2. Gabe Heifert & Garret Atteberry (B) def. Shane Perry & Barnabus Busa, 6-1, 7-5
3. Bemidji W, FF
Detroit Lakes 5,
1. Mike Paavola (WDC/P) def. Caleb Howard, 6-2, 6-1
2. Drew Larson (WDC/P) def. Carlos Espinosa, 6-2, 6-1
3. Chandler Hanks (DL) def. Tyler Wieser-Matthews, 6-1, 6-1
4. Tucker McDermond (DL) def. Chase Godel, 6-2, 6-0
1. Isaac Fondrick & Alex Fondrick (DL) def. Mike Botzet & Austin Andreen, 6-1, 6-0
2. Brady Crawford & Dylan Bremseth (DL) def. Shane Perry & Barnabus Busa, 7-5, 4-6, 10-4
3. Jon Fritz & Sam Bellware (DL) def. Tanner Dixon & Ryan Olsen, 6-0, 6-0