Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Fire marshal determines cause of Elmer's fire

OTTER TAIL COUNTY, Minn. --On monday, we received information in connection with the fire that leveled a popular Otter Tail County restaurant.

The Minnesota State Fire Marshal's office tells WDAY 6 News, that a discarded cigarette is the likely cause of an "accidental fire" that destroyed Elmer's BBQ restaurant on Otter Tail Lake.

Authorities say the fire started on the east side of the building, where employees take their smoke breaks.

The fire marshal found hundreds of cigarette butts in that area.

State investigators believe the fire started outside near that area, then moved to the interior.

The Fire Marshal's office considers the case closed.

Advertisement
randomness