PHS Boys Tennis: Tough start for Perham netters
By John George
The Perham boys tennis team had a tough challenge at their first meet of the season last week as they faced the Minnewaska Lakers. The Jackets were only able to pick up one set win as Minnewaska earned a 7-0 victory on their home court.
Perham's best match was turned in by their No. 1 singles player, Mike Buer. The junior went three sets against Tanner Blair, but came up short, 4-6, 6-3, 5-7.
"Mike played great," said head coach Kyle Knutson. "Most of our guys played pretty good, but it was your typical first match fuzzies."
The Jackets went north on Tuesday to Park Rapids for a triangular against the host Panthers and Crookston.
The Jackets competed well with Crookston, but lost, 7-0. Dylan Ashcraft took Noah Fagerland to three sets before losing, 6-1, 2-6, 9-7.
In the second match, Park Rapids won, 6-0 with one match suspended due to rain.
Perham will get in a full week of practice (weather permitting, of course) before their next meet, the team's home opener against Bemidji on April 28. The match is scheduled for a 4:30 p.m. start at the PHS courts.
The Jackets will remain close to home later in the week when they head to Wadena-Deer Creek High School for a dual meet against their Mid-State Conference rivals on April 30.
Friday, April 17
Minnewaska 7, Perham 0
1. Blair (M) def. Mike Buer 4-6, 6-3, 5-7; 2. Peters (M) def. Scott Eickschen, 6-0, 6-0; 3. Holten (M) def. Jordan Cresap, 6-1, 6-0; 4. Iverson (M) def. Joe Ulrich, 6-1, 6-2.
1. Hoffman & Braten (M) def. Joe Berns & Dylan Ashcraft, 6-2, 6-2; 2. Meishner & Moore (M) def. Brendan Lauer & Trevor Meece, 6-0, 6-0; 3. Clair & Bosak (M) def. Randy Swanson & Madison Paridon, 6-1, 6-1.
Tuesday, April 21
Park Rapids Triangular
Crookston 7, Perham 0
1. Dennison (C) def. Buer, 6-1, 6-2; 2. Biermaier (C) def. Eickschen, 6-3, 6-2; 3. Fagerland (C) def. Ashcraft, 6-1, 2-6, 9-7; 4. Welter (C) def. Cresap, 6-4, 7-5.
1. Thompson & Johnston (C) def. Berns & Lauer, 6-1, 6-0; 2. Prudhome & Johnson (C) def. Meece & Paridon, 6-0, 6-0; 3. Wahouske & Johnson (C) def. Swanson & Hofland, 6-0, 6-1.
Park Rapids 6, Perham 0
1. Kent (PR) def. Buer, 6-1, 6-1; 2. Renner (PR) def. Eickschen, 6-2, 6-2; 3. Smith (PR) def. Lauer, 6-0, 6-0; 4. Cresap (P) tied Kimball, 6-6 (called due to rain).
1. Leadbetter & Tiffany (PR) def. Berns & Ashcraft, 6-2, 6-3; 2. Kujawa & Dickenson (PR) def. Meece & Paridon, 6-1, 6-2; 3. Brown & Antonsen (PR) def. Swandon & Hofland, 6-2, 6-3.