Weather Forecast


Fergus Falls Veterans Home to Break Ground on New Addition

The Minnesota Veterans Home in Fergus Falls will break ground on a 33,000 square foot addition Wednesday, July 29 at 2 p.m. Expansion plans include a 21 bed special care unit, a Veterans Affairs Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) and an expanded dining facility.

The $9.5 million expansion project is slated for completion in January of 2011. It is funded in part, 65 percent, by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, which awarded the state $6.2 million for the project. The remaining 35 percent will be provided through a state match of $3.3 million.

The focus of the expansion is the special care unit featuring two state-of-the-art "community" or "village" concepts. The design for each of these areas will be reminiscent of the look and feel of home, complete with a porch and window. The new special care unit will also incorporate street lamps, park benches, a nursing station designed like a depot and enclosed outdoor wandering spaces.