Weather Forecast


Daycare fire in Perham prompts evacuation

Members of the Perham Fire Department stand outside Great Beginnings Childcare in Perham, after an electric fire forced an evacuation of the building. Trisha Marczak/FOCUS

Children were evacuated from a home daycare center in Perham Thursday morning after a fire was detected.

After children were evacuated, Perham Fire Department entered Great Beginnings Childcare, located on the 100 block of Sixth Street Northwest, and discovered the fire in a water heater, located in a separate room on the main floor of the structure.

Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said the cause of the fire was electrical. Fire damage was contained to the water heater.

Schmidt said the owner of the daycare did everything right in the procedure, calling to report the fire and evacuating children at the first sign of smoke.