Weather Forecast


Underwood home lost in fire

A rural Underwood home burned to the ground last Wednesday evening.

No one was injured in the fire, which may have started around the home's heating unit, but officials deemed the house a complete loss.

According to a press release from the Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office, dispatch received a report of a house fire at 33567 255th Street at 7:30 a.m. on Feb. 13. The call came from a nearby resident; the homeowners were not home at the time the fire started.

Deputies responded to the scene along with the Underwood and Battle Lake fire departments, Battle Lake Rescue Squad and Ringdahl Ambulance.

Heavy smoke and flames were visible on arrival. Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control.

The case remains under investigation, though initial determination was that the fire started in the home's basement in the area of the heating unit.