Weather Forecast


Update: Heater causes Frazee house fire

This house on 428th Avenue in rural Frazee sustained fire and smoke damage when blankets near an infrared space heater caught fire. Perham, Frazee and Vergas Fire Departments responded. Submitted photo

Blankets too close to a space heater started a house fire in rural Frazee on Saturday night.

Fire crews from Perham, Vergas and Frazee responded when the call came in, just after 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, from a residence on 428th Avenue.

A resident awoke to find blankets near an infrared space heater had burst into flames, according to a press release from the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office. The resident was able to exit the home safely.

No one was injured as a result of the fire.

Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said the fire damage was contained to the first floor living room, with smoke damage in the rest of the house. The structure, as a whole, was saved.

Perham EMS and Otter Tail County Sheriff’s deputies were also at the scene. No foul play was suspected.