Weather Forecast


Rural Grafton man missing in flood

MINTO, N.D. – Authorities were searching Tuesday for a Walsh County man whose pickup is believed to have been swept away from a water-covered gravel road Monday evening, about 3 miles southwest of Minto.

The man, who has been identified as Gregory Guy Miller, 55, of rural Grafton, N.D., apparently was traveling alone when he called for help after his pickup was washed off the road by a swift current in a coulee.

“We believe he is in the water,” the Walsh County Sheriff’s Department said in a news release Tuesday afternoon.

According to authorities, Miller called a friend for help at about 7:05 p.m.

“When the friend arrived, they exchanged waves,” the report said. “The friend left to try to get closer and when he returned, the man was gone.”

Authorities said Miller’s pickup appears to have been washed off the township road that was inundated with flowing floodwaters and was pushed downstream before getting hung up on a riverbank.

An initial search was conducted Monday evening by the Minto Fire Department and Minto Quick Response, Grafton Fire Department and an airboat from the Oslo (Minn.) Fire Department.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection using thermal imaging and a private plane piloted by an area pilot also assisted in the search until dark Monday.

Minto Fire Department and a Border Patrol helicopter, along with the Oslo airboat, resumed the search Tuesday morning.

Grand Forks County Water Rescue joined the search Tuesday afternoon, according to the sheriff’s department.

The search was continuing.

The coulee feeds into the Forest River, which started flooding the south portion of Minto on Monday, closing U.S. Highway 81.

Kevin Bonham

Kevin Bonham covers regional news, mostly from northeast North Dakota, for the Grand Forks Herald. A North Dakota native who grew up in Mandan and Dickinson, he has been a reporter or an editor with the Herald and Forum Communications for more than 30 years. Find his articles at: He welcomes story ideas via email,, or by phone, (701) 780-1110.