Weather Forecast


Detroit Lakes man gets prison for drugging girl, misconduct, DWI

DETROIT LAKES -- Justin Duane Puttbrese, 26, of 818 Rossman Ave., Detroit Lakes has been sentenced to more than four years in prison for felony third-degree criminal sexual conduct.

According to court records, On June 27 Detroit Lakes police officers responded to St. Mary's Innovis hospital on the report of a possible sexual assault.

A 14-year-old girl there told officers she had spent the night at a cousin's house and had been awakened in the early morning hours by Puttbrese, who allegedly gave her a pill and told her it would make her "hyper."

Instead, it made her light-headed, dizzy and tired, and she fell asleep again. She woke up to find him standing over her bed and realized she was wearing only a top.

She woke up later and had underwear on again, but didn't remember putting them on. About a half hour later her vagina started to hurt and she sought medical help.

A friend of Puttbrese's allegedly told police that Puttbrese had told him he had given the girl two Adderall pills and then committed the crime, saying he was "ashamed he had done it" and "wanted to die."

Officers found multiple pills on Puttbrese when he was arrested including nine Adderall pills.

Adderall is a brand-name drug psychostimulant composed of mixed amphetamine salts.

Puttbrese appeared Wednesday before Becker County District Judge Peter Irvine, who sentenced him to 50 months in prison, with 10 additional years on sexual offender conditional release. He was fined $50 plus court fees, to be taken from his prison earnings.

Puttbrese was also sentenced to 48 months for felony first-degree DWI, test refusal.

Charges of felony first-degree DWI, gross misdemeanor driving after his license was canceled, and misdemeanor fleeing a peace officer on foot were dismissed in a plea agreement.

According to court records, on June 8 a Detroit Lakes police officer on patrol received a report of a possible intoxicate driver near the Holiday gas station.

Puttbrese was pulled over and his preliminary blood alcohol level allegedly tested at .21 percent.

He allegedly fled on foot when informed he was under arrest, and when caught and taken to jail, refused to submit to further DWI testing.

Judge Irvine on Wednesday sentenced him to 48 months in prison, to be served concurrently with the first sentence, and fined him $50 plus court fees, to be taken from prison pay.