Weather Forecast


Accident parties should remain at the scene


Question: If a person has an accident on private property at a private resident, during a private party and left can the police issue a "leaving the scene of an accident" to that individual?

Answer: For the sake of brevity I will only cover those areas of the statutes that provide an answer to your question. These statutes are 169.09, which list requirements for drivers in crashes, and 069.02, which states where these laws apply.

According to MN statute 169.09 sb 1 "The driver of any motor vehicle involved in an accident resulting in immediately demonstrable bodily injury to or death of any individual shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident, or as close to the scene as possible but shall then return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of the accident, until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of this section as to the giving of information. The stop must be made without unnecessarily obstructing traffic." Basically, subdivision 2 requires the same of a driver of any motor vehicle involved in an accident with a vehicle driven or attended by any individual. Subdivision 4 states "The driver of any motor vehicle that collides with and damages any vehicle that is unattended shall immediately stop and either locate and notify the driver or owner of the vehicle of the name and address of the driver and registered owner of the vehicle striking the unattended vehicle, shall report this same information to a peace officer, or shall leave in a conspicuous place in or secured to the vehicle struck, a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the registered owner of the vehicle doing the striking." Statute 169.02 sb 1 clause (2) in part states "the provisions of sections 169.09 to 169.13 apply to any person who drives, operates, or is in physical control of a motor vehicle within this state or upon the ice of any boundary water of this state."

So, the short and simple answer to your question is "yes" the officer can charge someone with a violation of leaving the scene of a crash.

According to the Ted Foss law, when on a multi-lane road and approaching an emergency vehicle stopped on the side, with lights flashing, drivers are required to move over if possible. State Troopers are out there to help and protect you. Please help keep us safer by giving us that room, when safely possible, for our safety. Our families also thank you. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws in Minnesota send your questions to Trp. Andy Schmidt- Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205 or email