Weather Forecast


Christmas Day fire damages rural Dent home

The home of John Kratzke, located just north of Dent, was damaged by a fire on Christmas Day. No one was injured. Officials believe the fire started in the home's chimney. Submitted photo

A rural Dent resident is without a home after a house fire on Christmas Day.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, but the house sustained extensive damage, according to the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office.

The home is located along County Highway 35, just north of Dent, the Perham Fire Department reported.

John Kratzke, the home's owner, was alerted to the fire at about noon Dec. 25 by a person who noticed that the roof of the house was on fire.

“The fire appears to have started from a chimney fire and spread into the attic space of the house,” the sheriff’s office stated in a press release.

For now, Kratzke is staying with relatives.

The Dent Fire Department was the primary responder to the scene, with assistance from the Vergas and Perham fire departments.