Weather Forecast


Washing machine catches fire at St. James Manor

A washing machine at St. James Manor caught fire Monday, filling the second floor of the building with smoke but causing no injuries or serious damage.

Residents of the senior apartment housing facility were sent to the main level while firefighters extinguished the fire and vented out the smoke.

Perham Fire Chief Mark Schmidt said the fire was reported at about 8 p.m. He believes the washing machine overheated, igniting a fire on the belt inside the machine.

“It wasn’t a big fire, but there was a lot of smoke,” he said.

There was no smoke or serious damage to the building, and no one was hurt in the incident, according to Schmidt.

St. James Manor, managed by Perham Living, is located at 415 8th Avenue S.W. in Perham.

Marie Johnson

Marie Johnson joined the Perham Focus more than five years ago, and has since worn many hats as writer, editor and page designer. She lives in rural Frazee with her husband, Dan, their one-year-old son, Simon, and their yellow lab, Louisa. 

(218) 346-5900 x222