Due to a positive COVID-19 case at the Prairie Wind Middle School kitchen, Perham-Dent School District is announcing changes to its lunch program.
These changes are effective immediately and will conclude on March 5, according to a district news release. However, the situation could always change. Please be alert for future announcements from the School District.
It has been decided to reduce the number of lunch options at both the middle and high school for the time being due to the changes in staffing. Students will stay in their current buildings for their lunch period. There will now only be one menu option each day for students, as the release stated.
The district has worked with the Minnesota Department of Health and Otter Tail County Public Health to identify those who had close contact with the case, and have communicated with them individually. The risk of exposure for other individuals present in the building on that date is no greater than the risk of contracting the virus in the general community.
If you were not identified to have close contact with the positive case you should still monitor for symptoms of illness, but do not need to stay home unless symptoms develop. If symptoms develop, stay home and consult with your physician to determine if medical evaluation is needed.
"We understand that this may create unease in our community. We have taken action to clean and sanitize the facility and are working closely with MDH to monitor the situation," the release stated.
The district encourages all members of the community to minimize the spread of illness by taking the following actions:
- Protect yourself and others by wearing a face covering when it is hard to stay 6 feet away from people.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water.
- Covering your cough and sneeze.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- If you are sick, stay home from child care and other activities.
- Be prepared in case you get sick and need to stay home. Keep enough food, regular prescription drugs and other necessities on hand in case you need to stay home and are not able to go out easily.
- Frequently clean all commonly touched surfaces (telephones, doorknobs, countertops, etc.).
- If symptoms develop, stay home and consult with your physician to determine if medical evaluation is needed.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, MDH recommends:
- Stay at home for at least 10 days, and for 24 hours with no fever and improvement of other symptoms (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without using fever-reducing medicine).
- Use the CDC website on how to care for yourself at home with COVID-19.
- If your household contacts were exposed to you while you had symptoms, they should try to stay home as much as possible for 14 days.
Otter Tail County Public Health COVID-19 website: ottertailcountymn.us/content-page/covid-19-health-information/ or 218-998-8320 or 888-349-2581
Perham Health COVID-19 website: www.perhamhealth.org/covid19/ or 218-347-4500
Perham School District COVID-19 Dashboard: perhamschools.org/covid-19-dashboard/
- Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 hotline: 651-201-3920 or 1-800-657-3903, which is available seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Minnesota Department of Health COVID-19 website: www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/index.html