Scammers filed fraudulent claims for unemployment compensation using stolen personal information, according to a Minnesota Department of Revenue news release.

You may get an incorrect Form 1099-G from the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development for unemployment benefits you did not receive.

What should I do if I get an incorrect 1099-G?

You should:

  • Contact Minnesota Unemployment to report possible unemployment insurance fraud.
  • Request a revised 1099-G showing you did not receive unemployment benefits.
  • Keep the revised 1099-G for your records.
WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

If you cannot get a corrected 1099-G before filing your tax return, you should only report the income you received, according to the release.

What if I get a legitimate 1099-G?

File as you normally would. Unemployment compensation is taxable income and should be included in household income.

A legitimate 1099-G should include any of these:

  • Minnesota Unemployment Insurance benefits;
  • Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation ($600 a week);
  • Lost Wages Assistance Program payments ($300 a week).

For more information on unemployment fraud and identity theft, visit